Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Action High Ankle Trekking Shoes

Being a trek lover, I usually spend my Saturdays & Sundays on treks. I am an active leader of 'Rock Climbers Club' and 'Guerilla Adventures', so I have started buying good quality adventure gears for trekking. I have done my many previous treks on floaters. Floaters of 'Weinbrenier' brand by 'Bata' give a good grip during trekking and I have experienced it during my many previous treks. But they (even all floaters) are useless in mud walk. This has been experienced at Kalsubai Peak Trek by me and then I decided to buy good trekking shoes.

But this was really confusing when you find that there are many brands with good trekking shoes in the market. A general tendency of every buyer is 'More the price, better the quality'. Hence I thought 'Ventiv 500' by 'Quechua' will be the best option for trekking in Sahyadri and good thing was they were in my budget. Even later this decision I took a public trek of 'Rock Climbers Club' to 'Gorakhgad' in Murbad area. That time I saw many participants were wearing 'Action trekking shoes'. To have a review I enquire about it to the participants who were wearing those. Niranjan (who became a good friend of mine from that trek) was also wearing those shoes and he was very comfortable with them. After trek, I googled 'Action Trekking Shoes' but found no worthy information on it. I went to few shoe shops and enquired there also. ‘अरे साब, ट्रेकींगके लियेही ये शूज कंपनीने बनाया है | बहुत लोग लेके जाते है | और ये सस्ता भी है |’ (Sir, company has made this shoe for trekking only. Lot of people have bought. And these are cheap too.) Almost every shopkeeper was advising this and my heart was telling that ‘They are seller so they might be telling anything.’ A good this about these shoes was that they were cheap and were available in two types, ‘High Ankle’ for Rs. 800/- and ‘Low Ankle’ for Rs. 700/-. We all trekkers are always miser in case of budget and costing but this was a question of ‘Safety’, hence safety became priority than money. Still I decided to use them in a small trek to test them and thought that if it works then will continue to use or will use it for regular use. And thus I after-all bought these shoes of High Ankle type and used them for 2-3 days in regular use to make them ready for treks.


My next trek was ‘Avchitgad’. It was a very easy trek but we had to face lot of scree, mud, slippery rocks full of moss etc. Felt good as I got a chance to test these shoes there. And after using these shoes in this trek, I would like to inform you friends that these should really performed well. If we think of comfort, the extra padding of these shoes give a nice treatment to our feet while trekking. They are quite water resistant too. Its high ankle gives our feet a good support and avoids sprain. The best feature of it that they are cheap.

I have tried to present below the pros and cons of these shoes based on my experience.

Pros:
It has a good grip. It has a single sole with good quality moulding. Upper shoe is made from good quality thick canvas with good quality padding for extra comfort for feet during ascending and descending. The lace allows us to loosen or tighten the shoes as per choice and comfort. Shoes consist of a technology similar to shock absorbing that is provided under insole below heels. This system also keeps the air ventilation inside shoes to keep feet fresh and this is a must for long run treks. They are light in weight hence can be kept in sack or hooked on sack. They are attractive and are available in 3 colours ( Black, Brown and Olive Green) in market. They are water proof in 3 inch deep water/mud (up-to thick net made on above toe in this shoes). Its high ankle gives our feet a good support and avoids sprain & provides safety from scorpions, insects etc. If used well, I have seen many trekkers using these shoes for years. And best feather is its reasonable and cheap price & it’s made in India.

Cons:
The main drawback of these shoes that it insole gets damaged fast. During rain treks or long run treks, especially on slopes, its insole starts getting rolled or folded under feet that damages it fast during trek and we are left no option but to change or replace it. But if we consider the price of insoles i.e. Rs. 20/- to 30/-, this cost is negligible. Another drawback of these shoes is they are water proof in only 3 inch deep water/mud i.e. only up-to thick net made on above toe in this shoes. If we have to cross deeper water level or stream, then water enters in shoes through the net and becomes wet inside too. But we find similar problem in other branded shoes too.

Conclusion:
Since I have planned to trek in Sahyadri more, it’s my confirm opinion that these shoes are best for trekking in Sahyadri. As an advice, I can even suggest you all these shoes if you are concentrating on Sahyadri only and I am sure that you will not be disappointed. :)

Note:
I had published this information on my Marathi blog ‘Sahya-Bhramanti' on 11-Feb-2012. But considering the increasing number visitors to this blog, I thought it would be useful here also, hence posted. So follow simple rules, Enjoy Sahyadri. :)

These shoes can be bought online at www.gorillaadventures.in

18 comments:

  1. Dear Utkarsh,
    I came here after my terrible experience during Sudhagad trek a few days back, where I wore Woodlands shoes.
    I was slipping on the rocks persistently. Whenever I encountered a wet rock, I would skid. The shoes were literally like skating shoes, especially during descend. My friends caught hold of me while falling thrice while descending. Later I just descended on the rocks by actually sitting on the rocks and moving ahead or by stopping low and using all the 4 limbs. Overall, I would say that I could descend safely only because of my determination.

    I would like to take your blog as a platform to WARN everyone NOT TO USE WOODLAND SHOES during monsoons or on moss-laden rocks if you want to trek / hike without seriously injuring yourself and risking your life. As you rightly said, it is a general presumption by many that 'More The Cost, Better The Product'. However, it should be noted that the quality doesn't depend on only one factor. Woodlands shoes are of good quality when it comes to ruggedness, however it is STRONGLY advised NOT TO USE it during hiking on moist rocks which are common in the KONKAN region.

    Last but not the least, Thanks for creating a blog to enlighten the trekkers, especially the amateur ones who have no idea of what kind of gear shall be carried during the trek. Based on your recommendation, I will definitely buy Action Trekking shoes for my next trek and let you know about my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faced same issue with Woodland shoes when I went to Sudhagadh. Met a trekker there who was wearing Action trekkers and sweated by it. But haven't been able to find this shoe online yet.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. @ Umesh, you please visit www.gorillaadventures.in

      Delete
  2. Dear Utkarsha,

    Hya shoes che make, model no, price tu sangitalis nahis

    Sumukh 9892867209

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sumukh Joshi.. you can buy these shoes online at http://www.guerillaadventures.com/index.php/gear-shop/apparel/footwear/action-trekking-anklet.html

      Delete
  3. Dear Sumukh, it costs INR 800/- in Mumbai; in Pune you may get for lesser price. There are no model as such but you get it in with ankle and without ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you can buy this shoe from company (Action / Campus) website :

    http://www.campusshoes.com/men/sports-shoes/trekking.html

    I have used this for 5 years, even for wearing in office it is decent looking and lasts for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought it today for 700/- for my upcoming Manali trek in Jan 2015.
    Article T841
    Comfortable and sturdy. Preferred it over Quechua forclaz 500 which costs 4200,
    So our popular Action trekking is exactly 6 times cheaper and does its job well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Avinash,
      I am planning to go to chanderkhani pass trek in manali range this may, I was planning to buy This campus trekking shoes against quechua forclaz 500.

      Can you please share your experience with this shoe in your manali trek. It would be helpful to make the decision whether to go for high priced quechua or this one will suffice..

      Delete
  6. Going for Goechala treck in may. Have decided to get this one over forclaz 500. They are water proof in shallow water also have good grip. Need to clean the sole from time to time in muddy terrains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay away from woodland shoes.They are extremely slippery and bulky.I had a fall while visiting a waterfall in Goa in Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary.I read a lot of good reviews about these Action trekking shoes.Anyway, I use Salomon Quest 4D 2GTX shoes and Salomon X-Ultra Prime shoes for all my Himalayan treks and I recommend them for Himalayan trekking.Forclaz 500 or 600 are good, but those don't provide good traction on rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this shoes still available anywhere to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am the trekker can any one help which trekking shoes are beat for sahyadri trekking my mobile number is 9819157601 with shoes number

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for adding review of high ankle trekking shoes..
    I like to use Woodland trekking shoes..
    WoodLand Shoes in India

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete